Blackrock, Co. Dublin
The existing property was a dark 1930’s 2 storey house. The client wished to have a larger light filled house which opened onto the south west facing gardens to the rear. They wished to use contemporary materials yet retain a traditional feel to the house. We demolished the old house and rebuilt a new two-storey house. The single storey kitchen and dining area has floor to ceiling glazing opening directly onto the garden with clerestory glazing over to allow consistent natural light throughout the day. A stainless steel pergola over the glazing diffuses glare from the sun during the summer months, preventing over heating of the house. A mixed palette of materials was used – yellow brick, painted render, natural roof slates, oxidised copper and aluminium-clad windows. Internally natural stone and walnut are used throughout.